The Ice Vision system uses vision recognition to automatically measure ice profiles directly on overhead transmission lines. The system is used for assessment and prioritization of ice mitigation resources. Quick remediation saves on wear and tear of equipment under icing conditions. Manitoba Hydro has implemented and runs an Ice Vision system with 20 stations installed across the province. The system was developed in collaboration with the University of Manitoba’s Virtual Reality Laboratory.
- Accurate measurement of ice profiles directly on live conductors — automatically and autonomously;
- Collection of weather data including temperature, wind, humidity, precipitation, and pressure;
- Alarms via email, SMS text messaging, and control centre HMI;
- Real-time ice picture;
- Wireless communication for remote access, control, and configuration of settings;
- Graphing and trending of historical data.